EPPiC Theatre holds EPP archives from 1932
We have missing details for the 1950's and 1960's and would really be grateful if you can fill in any gaps for us.
A detailed archive from 1932 is available to view in the EPPiC lounge, containing programmes, pictures, and press cuttings.
The society was formed by the Reverend Norman Braham at the time he was curate for St Mary's Church Ecclesfield.
1932 September 29th. The inaugural meeting was held in the Gatty Memorial Hall Ecclesfield. It was decided that a Dramatic Society be formed to be known as Priory Players.
The following officials were elected. President Mr Frank N Green; Chairman and Producer Rev. Norman Braham; Secretary Miss Annie Bedford; Treasurer Miss Phylis Robinson; Members of Committee Miss Jane Pawson and Miss Ethel Selby.
It was decided to join The British Drama League at once. Meetings to be held fortnightly on Thursday evening.
The following week Miss Kathleen Grimoldby was appointed librarian. The annual subscription was 5 shillings per member and members were asked to contribute 2d per meeting "to help to defray the cost of borrowing books".
1933 The ticket prices for Ambrose Applejohn's Adventure, the first production in February, were 2 shilling and 1 shilling plus entertainment tax and 9d including tax
For the society's earliest performances in the Gatty Memorial Hall, stage lighting was provided from cables running into the lane outside to batteries on members' cars.
1933-1962 Performances were held in the Gatty Memorial Hall on Priory Road, Ecclesfield, with activities halted during the 1939-1945 war years.
1962-1966 The venue moved for a while to the Colley Secondary School Assembly Hall in Parson Cross, but audiences fell as it was away from the bus route from Ecclesfield.
1967 The venue changed again, this time to Ecclesfield Town Junior School Assembly Hall off High Street, Ecclesfield, and audience numbers picked up immediately.
Rehearsals were held in the basement of the old Methodist Chapel, which by then was the Labour Hall, in Town End Road, Ecclesfield, where we also stored our scenery and props.
Members affectionately referred to the building as “The Dungeon”.
Newspaper article 1850
Terrible thuderstorms visited Sheffield and its neighbourhood today. The rain descended in torrents while flash after flash of forked lightning followed each other in quick succession.
The Wesleyan Chapel at Ecclesfield was struck on the south east gable. The lightning, after tearing away part of the roof, passed into the chapel over the end gallery.
The pews in the gallery, as a result, "are much broken and the strong oak bearers shiver like matchsticks"